Hudson (4-7, 4.22) goes against Kyle Kendrick (7-5, 3.59) | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
mary123
mary123 Jul 12
CLEVELAND -- When Terry Francona looks across the diamond at Bostons dugout, the Indians manager will have emotions to suppress. Cheap Austin Proehl Jersey . It wont be easy.Hes got friends over there -- one of his closest in manager John Farrell -- and strong personal attachments with players like David Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia. Under normal circumstances, Francona would be wishing them the best.Not now. This October, the Red Sox are in his way.Francona, who guided Boston to a pair of World Series titles and exorcised the Curse of The Bambino before leaving in turmoil in 2011, will face his former team in the postseason for the first time when the Indians meet the Red Sox in the American League Division Series starting Thursday night.There are deep connections between the two franchises meeting for the fifth time in the playoffs since 1995. None, though, are stronger than those for Francona, who is doing all he can to keep the attention directed at the field and the AL East and AL Central champions.I dont think Id want to ignore it, he said Wednesday of his ties to the Red Sox. Theres a lot of history there, a lot of people I really care about. But Ive been here four years. Its not a bad thing when you move on. Sometimes its just time to move on.Cleveland is back in the postseason for the second time in four years and had one more victory than Boston this season while running away with its division. Still, Francona understands the Indians are heavy underdogs in the best-of-five series.I think the way weve played this year, were a worthy opponent and well hold our own, he said. We just need to win one more game than our opponent. Well see if were good enough.Befitting a season in which theyve withstood adversity and key injuries, the Indians will start Trevor Bauer in Game 1 against Rick Porcello, Bostons 22-game winner.Bauer began the season in Clevelands bullpen, but because of injuries to Carlos Carrasco, Danny Salazar and Game 2 starter Corey Kluber, the enigmatic right-hander -- who acknowledged he can be difficult to deal with sometimes -- has jumped to the front of the rotation.Francona said Bauers relationship with the Indians is still evolving but he has complete confidence in handing the 25-year-old the ball in the seasons biggest game.I dont think anybody has any trepidation about letting Trevor pitch Game 1, Francona said. I think hes been waiting for this his whole life. And we also think he can bounce back and pitch on short rest and do just fine.The Red Sox and Indians ended last season playing each other in Cleveland and they began this season together on April 4, when the opener at Progressive Field was postponed by snow. Now, here they are again with much higher stakes.Like Francona, Farrell is doing all he can to keep the focus on the players, a skill he learned from his longtime friend.The one thing that he always spoke of is to be true to yourself, Farrell said when asked how Francona made him a better manager. If youve done your work, if youve prepared to the point of decisions that are to be made, and making those decisions, if youre true to that process, true to yourself, you can live with the scrutiny, the criticism or balance it with times that are successful.And the tough ones, too.When Farrell was battling cancer last year, Francona accompanied him to his first chemotherapy session. The men share a special bond, one forged by baseball and strengthened by shared experiences.At this time a year ago, Farrell wasnt sure how many Octobers he had left and its why hes savoring this one. His illness taught him perspective and grace.I relish every moment of every day, he said.FAMILY AFFAIR: Franconas 82-year-old father, Tito, who played outfield for the Indians from 1959-64, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 1.Im going to walk him out to the mound, or hell walk me out, Francona said, and hes going to throw the pitch to (Cleveland bench coach) Brad Mills who is as close to family as you can get. So it will be a very special moment.ROAD WARRIORS: Boston was baseballs best road team after the All-Star break, going 27-17 and finishing an AL-best 46-35 away from Fenway Park.It felt like we were on the road for two months straight, Porcello said.NAPOLIS PARTY: Indians slugger Mike Napoli, whose Party At Napolis T-shirts have become fashion musts in Cleveland, had a career season in his first year with the Indians. He hit 34 homers -- many of them tape-measure shots -- with 101 RBI. He also provided leadership in Clevelands clubhouse and lineup.Farrell, who managed him for two seasons, isnt surprised by Napolis breakout.A smart baseball player, Farrell said. He was probably one of our best baserunners, despite the foot speed, when he was with us in Boston. Hes become a damn good first baseman defensively. But his overall presence, its the same guy every day. There was a calming influence with us. He sees the most pitches of anybody in baseball. Thats going to have an effect on the guys around him in the lineup. Cheap Wyatt Teller Jersey .ca NBA Power Rankings, ahead of the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs. Bills Jersesys Outlet .ca. Hey Kerry, big fan of yours, just finished reading your book. I think that we all saw the Canucks/Flames line brawl just after puck drop. It was obvious that something was about to happen, even to the referees because the fourth lines were on to start. http://www.billsjerseyscheap.com/cheap-taron-johnson-jersey/ . Vokoun departed practice on Saturday morning after discovering swelling in his thigh. He was taken to a local hospital where the clot was revealed. The club announced the surgery following a 5-3 exhibition loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets. PHILADELPHIA -- A strong offence and a solid bullpen performance helped Cliff Lee overcome his worst start in two months. Humberto Quintero and Ryan Howard hit home runs to give Lee a five-run cushion, and the Philadelphia Phillies held on for a 5-4 victory over the Atlanta Braves on Friday night. Dan Uggla hit a three-run shot, and the Braves snapped Lees streak of 11 straight games pitching at least seven innings and allowing three earned runs or less. But Lee (10-2) still won his eighth straight decision. He allowed four runs and eight hits in 6 1-3 innings. "It was hot, but I felt I could continue to pitch," Lee said. He didnt have to. The bullpen bailed him out. J.C. Ramirez and Antonio Bastardo combined for five outs. Jonathan Papelbon finished for his 18th save in 22 tries. Right fielder John Mayberry Jr. helped Papelbon with a sliding catch on Brian McCanns sinking liner for the second out. "I felt he was spent. He perspired a lot," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said of Lee. "It happens sometimes to guys who can go deep and finish games." Paul Maholm (9-7) gave up five runs -- four earned -- and nine hits in six innings. Tim Hudson was scheduled to start for the Braves, but he was pushed back one day because of a stiff neck. Desperate to avoid falling further behind in the NL East standings, the Phillies (42-45) opened an important 10-game homestand before the All-Star break looking to gain ground. The first seven games are against the two teams above them in the division. "The only way to definitely gain ground on teams ahead of you is to beat them," Lee said. "We have to win this series and as many games as we can heading into the All-Star break." The division-leading Braves have lost three in a row. The Phillies have won three of four, including two of three at major league-leading Pittsburgh. Fifteen of Philadelphias last 75 games are against the Braves. Lee cruised into the seventh inning with a four-hitter before running into trouble. Lee hit Freddie Freeman, and Chris&nbssp;Johnson followed with a single. Buffalo Bills Jerseys. Uggla then hit a drive to left-centre to get the Braves within 5-3. "I threw five straight changeups," Lee said. "I tried to come up and in with a fastball. It was up, but not in." After Lee gave up a one-out double to McCann, pinch-hitter Reed Johnson singled to chase him. Ramirez came in and allowed a sacrifice fly to Andrelton Simmons that cut it to 5-4. Quintero drove an opposite-field shot out to right to make it 3-0 in the second. A Braves fan dropped the ball back onto the field, and Quintero stopped at second before being awarded the homer. The ruling was upheld after the umpires looked at a video replay. "It feels good to get this win," Quintero said. "We have to win the series." Howard connected in the third, hitting a towering shot way out to right-centre for his 11th homer. Quinteros RBI double drove in Delmon Young for a 5-0 lead in the sixth. Braves catcher Gerald Laird was ejected by plate umpire Angel Hernandez after getting called out on a pitch that appeared high and outside in the third. Laird was tossed after shouting an expletive as he walked toward the dugout. He turned around and ran at Hernandez, going nose-to-nose in a heated exchange while manager Fredi Gonzalez tried to calm him. Gonzalez also was ejected. "The catcher threw the ball back to the pitcher," Gonzalez said. "(Laird) was saying even the Phillies catcher knew it was a ball." A throwing error by first baseman Freeman gave the Phillies a 1-0 lead in the first. NOTES: Lee is 11-2 in last 14 starts against NL East opponents. ... The Phillies are 8-14 vs. Atlanta since 2012. ... Braves C Evan Gattis was cleared to start having a catch. Gattis has been sidelined with a strained right oblique. ... RHP Luis Ayala returned to Atlantas bullpen for the first time since being diagnosed with an anxiety disorder in late April. ... Hudson (4-7, 4.22) goes against Kyle Kendrick (7-5, 3.59) Saturday night. Hudson is 0-6 with a 4.50 ERA in 10 starts since his last win on May 5. Cheap NFL Hoodies Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys Wholesale Nike NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping Jerseys NFL China Wholesale NFL Autographed Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping ' ' '